[talk-au] license change map

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 22:48:11 GMT 2010

"Although the situation does look dire for Australian cities"

Hi Simon,

I think that the situation may may not be quite as dire as you suspect".  I
believe that most of the "yellowness" in Australia is due to the "max speed
bot" that added just one tag to a huge number of roads.

If this bot's actions are discounted, or indeed just simply reverted, then I
suspect that there would be a significant shift to the green end of the
spectrum. Anotgher compliant bot could re-add these tags later.

Certainly, it unfortunately appears that there will be whole villages/towns
that will remain red.  These will need to be resurveyed. I believe that this
will take about one year (or maybe two at the most) but considereing OSM's
huge importance to society, I do not see this as a big issue. In fact it
would give me a good reason to visit towns that I have not yet seen since
I've run out of roads to survey.

If nearmap derived data is not re-licenced to the ODBL then in Canberra we
will lose a lot of sidewalks etc.   Since walking is now a big part of my
daily exercise regime, I look forward to "walking all of Canberra".

Cheers
Nick