[talk-au] license change map

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Sun Nov 21 01:53:55 GMT 2010

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:00:30 -0800 (PST)
Neil Penman <ianaf4you at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Two years or 3 its not that important osm will recover.  Community
> based mapping is too important to be abandoned for reliance on
> commercial mapping organisations.  Its also a lot of fun which takes
> the edge off having to re-map areas.   I am however kind of surprised
> at the attitude by some that seems to relish the removal of data from
> OSM.  Leaving it in would result in no loss to the individual at all
> even if they were to continue mapping on another community based map
> project.

I find the attitude of those who wish to alter the licence, knowing
that a large quantity of data is incompatible, the most community
destroying thing in the argument.

If Nick wishes to remap he can do as he pleases.
I have a different interpretation of the effect of the default
residential speed limit change on the red : yellow : green map, that it
would have converted some parts to yellow IF the other mapper(s)
involved were intending to relicense under ODBL. Red lines represent
CC-by-SA data with no mapper involved who has declared an intention to
join the ODBL/CT group. Yellow is a mixture, from the history at the
date at which the data was downloaded.
The system is not perfect - when a way is split the history only goes
on one part. I have also noted a dual carriageway, both directions
mapped by same mapper with no other mapper involvement, with one lane
red and one lane yellow. Nodes, and hence POI, had to be ignored for
the process, but considering the source of the node may be more
accurate than the source of the way.

I'm not sure that OSM will recover, as there is a distinct possibility
that OSM will splinter into so many parts that it does not recover.