[talk-au] license change map

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Mon Nov 22 04:27:36 GMT 2010

On Sun, 2010-11-21 at 17:35 +1100, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 21:59:42 -0800 (PST)
> Neil Penman <ianaf4you at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't this problem be easier to manage if each CC-BY data source
> > was kept in separate data store which is combined as a layer on the
> > client or tile server?
>
> I think it is reasonable to suggest alternate methods of keeping and
> displaying data, and to consider moves away from the monolithic world
> database. We can come to agreements then about licences

Maybe that is a solution for us aussies, since it appears Australian map
data will be affected more than data in the rest of the world, and since
it appears that mappers on the other side of the world dont care either
way about the loss of our data, that Australia's OSM starts its own
fork.

We're unique enough that we have no land borders to worry about, we dont
have to connect into any other map in the same way that the
European/American continental maps have to connect to other.  This would
mean that Australia should be able to fork much more easily than other
groups/nations, if it eventually came to it.

David