[talk-au] Fwd: license change map

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Sun Nov 28 11:02:30 GMT 2010

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:43:52 +0100
Mike  Dupont <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Mike  Dupont
> > <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> Yeah, I dont pay in money, I pay in code and data. Does that count?
> >> Also I payed in trips all over to collect data, dinners with
> >> people, etc etc. Why do I need to pay money to a bank account so
> >> that I have a say? FAIL!
> >
> > You could make that argument for virtually every volunteer
> > organisation. Virtually all organisations need some kind of funds,
> > and if there is no other form of revenue, it comes from members.
> > Nothing unusual there.
>
> The question is of funds for voting rights or merit for voting rights.
>
> This means that the people with funds will have a vote and the people
> who are just working will not.
>
> mike

I can see the legal line of thought for paying to belong to a company /
organisation.
I do support the right of those without large amounts of cash -
students, those living in developing countries - to have a say.
All contributions to the project need to be valued - code, data, server
maintenance and cash.