[talk-au] Question re footway or path for asphalt paths in National Parks

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 12:57:22 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Mark Pulley <mrpulley at lizzy.com.au> wrote:
> On the wiki, it suggests using highway=footway for urban footpaths and
> highway=path for hiking trails.

Where does it suggest that, about highway=path? It must be the most
ambiguous tag ever, with at least the following meanings:
- a trail of some kind that is not specified
- no different from footway or cycleway, depending on access tags (ie,
mapnik renders highway=path;foot=designated exactly the same as
highway=footway)
- a hiking path??

> Which is best to use for asphalt footways in national parks (e.g.
> wheelchair-friendly paths to lookouts) - should I use footway or path?

highway=footway;surface=paved

(Plus whatever wheelchair specific tags there are - I don't know.)

Steve