[talk-au] Port Hacking (Bay v. Water)

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Oct 25 01:28:08 BST 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 October 2010 10:01, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So effectivly in my view swanilli has deleated the bays I originally

[ ... ]

> Clearly done the wrong thing, IMO.
>
> I think there is still room to assume good faith.

Absolutely.  I've contacted a few mappers over edits that I found
unusual.  Invariably, the issue caused by something innocent:

- They are new
- They don't use $mailing-list
- They thought OSM was for imaginary cities (!!!  Really.)
- They didn't realize they pressed save
- they didn't notice $something

Make a massive good faith presumption.  These are people who have, so far:

- heard about OSM
- thought it was a good idea
- registered
- confirmed their email
- tried to make an edit

Chances are much better that this is an innocent mistake /
misunderstanding, rather than something deliberate to provoke
conflict.  If you are both editing in the same area, chances are that
this is a neighbour.  You could be sharing a drink with this person.