[talk-au] NearMap

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Sep 15 23:38:07 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 September 2010 08:15, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
>> It will take forever if you never start the discussion.  ;-)
>
> I was under the impression the LWG was already talking to Nearmap,

Sure.  Aren't there AU gov't sources that would be nice to have
permission to use?

> however I don't have a problem with the current license, so I don't
> see a point in wasting it to further the agenda of commercial
> entities...

This bogeyman again?  Which commercial entities?  What agenda?  Moving
to and Open Data License from an Open Creative Content License is the
right thing to do for an Open Data Project.  Using CT to make adapting
to the future easier for the future OSM community is the right thing
to do for our future selves.

>> That will vary by publisher.  The permission from the Canadian
>> government took a couple of days but others might be faster.
>
> I'm suspicious that the data is going to be compatible with the CTs,
> but of course these little details are swept under the rug...

Nope.  Explicit permission to contribute to OSM with CTs.
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/2010-August/003292.html