[talk-au] Fwd: [OSM-dev] To OSM editor authors ...

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 01:31:35 BST 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 April 2011 10:06, Alex (Maxious) Sadleir <maxious at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What happened to NearMap?
>
> Nearmap have refused to allow data derived from their imagery to be
> used without guarantee of attribution and share-a-like in a future
> license, or having a guarantee that such data would be removed if
> relicensing occurs.

Surely that's a simple procedural matter then (CT 1.2.4 already has
the "we reserve the right to delete your content for whatever
reason"), especially when changes through the NearMap editor can be
tagged appropriately automatically. That would be the same situation
we're in now; every major licence change has to be a fork of the old
project and data owners can stop contributing in the future... that
doesn't affect the past so end users can be assured the data is
appropriately licensed.

If LWG can negotiate special conditions
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/d/d8/Bing_license.pdf) with
Bing, surely they can work something out with NearMap.
I wouldn't want to get into a situation where you have to negotiate
with every service/data provider (that's the point of open data
licencing!) but a company that covers more area than some european
countries to the community for free deserves a fair go.