[talk-au] Nearmap

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 06:58:51 BST 2011

On 7 April 2011 12:57, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:

> If the Australian issue is so important, as others have suggested why
> isnt OSMF seeking to make a rapid agreement with NearMap as was done
> with Bing?

This really needs to be done.

Is wonder if this is just due to a shortage of time that the LWG
hasn't included this as yet?

It would be nice to think that seeing this issue primary affects
Australians, that we could take the lead in doing this.  However, I
don't know how many on the OSM-AU list are ready to help in this kind
of endevour?

There are a range of approaches we could look at from both the Nearmap
and the LWG perspectives.

On the Nearmap side, there is clearly in my opinion a business benefit
to Nearmap of having the OSM data closely aligned to the Nearmap
images.  It gives them an accurate, free and up-to-date streetmap
layer, and for the foreseeable future attribution within the OSM data.
 And lets face it, the value in Nearmap's business proposition is
accuracy and currency.  If OSM went off the rails (and scrapped ODbL)
in a way Nearmap didn't like, withdrawing OSM support from that moment
onwards would see the data quickly lose currency.

On the OSM side, I recognise several of the top contributors list as
being nearmap mappers, and I'd hazard a guess that we are looking at
possibly over 20% of the Australian data possibly impacted by this, so
working this through has large benefits to OSM.  At the most extreme
end it could make the difference whether a viable OSM community
continues in Australia under the OSM banner.  There is a strong case
if all else fails to allow at least the current nearmap data to be
imported under a very ephemeral set of contributor terms just for this
purpose, allowing the nearmap derived data to survive as long as the
the attribution model persists.  After all Nearmap are only objecting
to a possibility of a future licence change, not the ODbL itself - and
that may be many years distant.  Jeopardising OSM in Australia at this
juncture doesn't seem worth it when by the time we come to consider
the next licence change the world of aerial image will likely have
evolved dramatically.

Ian.