[talk-au] Fwd: [OSM-dev] To OSM editor authors

{withheld} Pheasant.Coucal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 21:25:52 BST 2011

On 08/04/11 05:47, John Henderson wrote:
> On 07/04/11 21:10, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
>
>> It's sad that this is happening
>> A vibrant aussie community has gone down the drain within the last 12
>> months.
>> I have spent 3 1/2 years (nearly) adding big tracts of eastern
>> australia to the osm map, and now think I will do something else with
>> my spare time.
>
> Agreed.  Quite aside from other considerations, the fuel cost and the
> wastage of having to do all this work again is staggering to the
> individuals concerned.
>
> It's not as if it can be dome in a lifetime by waiting for OSM
> contributors to take all these roads again without going out of their way.
>
> It wouldn't be nearly so bad if we could simply agree to the new terms
> for objects outside Nearmap coverage (and for future contributions), but
> have our "contaminated" work removed.

Whilst I agree / commiserate with your basic point (been there; done
that; spent the fuel), don't you still have the raw traces from your
device? I certainly do, and consider at no point have I ever given up my
rights to them.

Maybe I am wrong; but what is to stop me from reformatting, retracing or
extracting information from these (in my case GPX) traces, and
subsequently giving this new work away to absolutely anybody I choose?

Certainly it will be a lot of work and a monumental annoyance to do so;
but I don't remember signing away this aspect of my rights as primary
producer of survey data.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I make no claim to being a "significant contributor"; but if my
efforts are expunged I shall ever harbour deep malevolence toward the
organisation that does so regarding the hole in the map which is left;
even if nobody else notices!