[talk-au] Wiki + Data Sources + Licensing Categories

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 04:46:42 BST 2011

On 8 April 2011 13:41, Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> With respect, if we are going to do down the path of using data

We are going down that path with the new CTs and to a lesser extent
ODBL, people haven't been informed well enough about the implications
of accepting the new CTs and there is a LOT of pressure to accept the
new terms, without people being fully informed, and the consequences
for OSM-F are they will end up with tainted data, and lots of it.

> against the owner's wishes using the law as a shield, I'd want to see
> a pretty solid legal opinion covering all aspects of the data use, not
> just copyright, as each case will depend on its own facts.

In this case it's pretty straight forward and matches the legal
rulings almost identically, computer generated lists aren't covered by
copyright any more, you have to put thought into building such a list
for it to be covered.