[talk-au] Tragedy of the commons...

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 25 09:51:50 BST 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 8:27 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 24 April 2011 22:18, Alex (Maxious) Sadleir <maxious at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> As was said on talk, it seems pretty absurd to be moving an open
> >> mapping project in 2011 such that it is shutting out Ordinance Survey
> >> and NearMap when all they ask for is attribution.
> >
> > It's a GPL v BSD type issue, some people want share a like, others
> > think a BSD/PD style license is the way to go,
>
> No.  It's much closer to a Wikipedia transition from GNU FDL to
> CC-By-SA.  OpenStreetMap is moving to a license that is much better
> suited to data, while maintaining the Share Alike and Attribution
> aspects.

I dont understand this, because the GFDL and CC are largely compatible and
there is a dual license, which is not the case here.
with the new CT you are leaving the realm of copyleft totally, it becomes
contract law and not copyright law.
As far as I can tell, the ODBL is not compatible , but I dont really
understand it.

mike