[talk-au] Tragedy of the commons...

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:33:34 BST 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 8:49 AM, 4x4falcon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:

> On 24/04/11 19:54, John Smith wrote:
>
>> Once upon a time it used to be almost a race to map out new areas from
>> Nearmap coverage, now whole areas of coverage go untouched for months
>> or longer...
>>

> Even from bing there is not much activity.
>

>  What was once a source of pride in the community can now only be
>> described as a 'tragedy of the commons' now that the death knell is
>> being tolled on the OSM-F...
>>
>> I have restarted mapping in earnest, but uploading to fosm.org, I'd
>> forgotten how enjoyable it was just to get on and map large areas that
>> are blank and to make the map slightly more complete, knowing that I
>> wasn't wasting my time to only have my edits reverted later.
>>
>>  I've taken the opposite approach, I'm still adding to osm from nearmap,
> gps and bing as those edits will go into fosm.org as fosm is doing
> minutely updates from osm.
>
> When we are locked out completely and all my edits are removed from osm
> they will still be in fosm without duplication and I will they start adding
> to fosm then.

This is a very sensible approach and one that I would expect most people to
follow.

That said, I do need people to use fosm and give me feedback if they
encounter any issues.

There's no tileserver yet, that's a priority, there's no gratification if
things are rendered.

 After that there are all the window dressing bits on the fosm.org website,
although I'm not intending to implement any user diaries, GPX uploads or
other peripheral functionality at the moment.  That will come later if
there's sufficient demand.