[talk-au] How many NearMap users do you think have accepted the new CTs and ODbL?

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Tue Apr 26 14:24:09 BST 2011

I was wondering this question tonight.

How many OSM users have accepted the new terms, without fully
understanding that sources they have used in the past prohibit them from
doing so.

So, I wrote a little script to find out and the numbers are surprising.

Using my australian test extract from 21/03/2011, I found that 3390
users have made edits in the area of interest (the Australian extract
available on osmaustralia.org).

Of these 3390 users, 536 have used the tag source=nearmap at least once.

Of these 536 users, 134 have agreed to the ODbL+CTs.

So, approximately 25% of users who have attributed nearmap (and to be
fair, a lot more data has probably used nearmap without proper
attribution), have agreed to have their edits released under the new
terms.

Of 3390 total users in our region, 487 have agreed to the terms.

Interesting numbers that show that a lot of users have been mislead or
misunderstand the consequences of accepting the changes.

If anyone is interested, I can provide the simple C code I used to
generate these numbers and/or a list of usernames/uids that are
involved.

This only shows where there is clear evidence of licence violations
without having to look past the data's tags.  Im sure if similar figures
were generated based on users in nearmap coverage areas, the numbers
would be similar.  These numbers were also generated from an extract,
and not a full history dump, so there may well be cases where tags have
changed and would not be counted here.

Food for thought

David