[talk-au] Reassurance and Licensing

Ben Kelley ben.kelley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 21:38:12 BST 2011

Hi.

On 27 April 2011 00:56, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 15:17 +0100, Grant Slater wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately there are some very vocal (anonymous) members of the
> > Australian community who seem intent on creating a virtual "Us vs
> > Them" conflict in the community with exaggerated claims and mistruths.
> > We are one project and on the same team. I believe we all value the
> > amazing project we have collaboratively built.
>
> Did you seriously write that with a straight face?  Lets address the
> points..
> There has been vocal opposition to the change to a licence incompatible
> with our data.

I think to be fair, some of the "vocal opposition" has been more vocal than
necessary. The discussion on this list is not always balanced.

Yes there are serious concerns with the large amount of CC-BY-SA licensed
material that will become unavailable to OSM. I think I am correct in saying
that people do not feel like these concerns are being addressed. It would be
good to get some engagement on dealing with these issues. As David says,
this is not just a problem for Nearmap.

 - Ben Kelley.