[talk-au] Reassurance and Licensing

Tim Challis Tim.Challis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 09:39:09 BST 2011

On 27/04/11 16:27, John Smith wrote:
> On 27 April 2011 14:42, Alex (Maxious) Sadleir <maxious at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> *sarcasm* But it all doesn't matter anyway, John Smith has degreed
>>> that all Australian geodata is PD anyway. See:
>>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2011-April/007829.html
>>
>> A lot of people do take this issue seriously as it affects how you
>> collate data from now on. The works dealt with were TV Program Guides
>> (IceTV Pty Limited v Nine Network Australia Pty Limited ) and Phone
>> Books (Telstra Corporation Limited v Phone Directories Company Pty
>> Ltd) which are not considered as ‘original works’ because the creation
>> of each publication did not involve ‘independent intellectual effort’
>> and/or the exercise of ‘sufficient effort of a literary nature’. The
>> rigid process used to make a phone book especially did not allow the
>> individual authors (phone company employees) to be creative ;)
>
> Perhaps I should have used all caps for the benefit of Grant,
> specifically the bit about being computer generated. Until or unless
> computer AI gets good enough to generate map data on their own this
> ruling has no bearing over geo data...

In the prevailing spirit of cheap-shots, although the CAPS idea is
rather kind of John, might as well remember the old line:
 "You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink."

I think everybody got the spirit of the argument, with the sad exception
of the ones who needed to. If I were truly petty I would point out the
only party above who did not care enough to get their spelling right.

Thanks to Alex for so clearly laying out the government license
situation. Quality points vs "*sarcasm*": no contest.