[talk-au] Where did the town go?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Dec 1 21:33:49 GMT 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 3:46 PM, John Henderson <snowgum at gmx.com> wrote:
> On 02/12/11 01:11, Grant Slater wrote:
>
>> I often watch OSM edits using
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/LiveMapViewer and noticed the
>> deletes of mostly DrLizAU's contributions. I suspected DrLizAU was
>> removing her own contributions, but cannot back this up.
>
> DrLizAU's ethical standards are very much higher than that in my experience.
>
> To me it appears that the completely comment-less, stealthy, anonymous
> deletions are more likely to be "official" OSM work.

Time out.  Grant didn't suggest that what cc_cleaner is doing is
unethical.  Do you think that it is, John?

Nor is cc-cleaner anonymous or stealthy.  cc_cleaner is just a regular
changeset like any other.  While many encourage the use of descriptive
changeset comments some mappers choose not to use them.  Have you
asked that user what they are doing?

Are you disparaging official OSM work?  "Official OSM" edits are very
rare indeed.  The only ones that I'm aware of would be edits by the
data working group to revert vandalism; those are just regular edits
by regular accounts, marked with descriptive comments and usernames.