[talk-au] A way to go

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Dec 2 01:42:22 GMT 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Andrew Laughton
<laughton.andrew at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 December 2011 07:20, John Henderson <snowgum at gmx.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/12/11 09:00, Richard Weait wrote:
>>
>>> Deleting tainted data and remapping by local mappers is far superior
>>> to waiting until March 31 and running a script.
>>>
>>> So removing data from decliners and remapping it, and reaching out
>>> to those who haven't yet responded is valid and valuable.
>
> Unless the decliners change their mind, which is very likely to happen if
> government data can be used after all.

That was answered some time ago.  data.gov.au (did I get the order
right?) is happy to have OSM using their data.

There are imports still in question in Australia, but if those who
imported them aren't going to come forward with information about the
source or license there is little to do but remove the data.

> I would like a copy of the map before these deletes are made for my GPS, has
> someone done this before these deletes were done ?

Then you'll want to look at any of the planet files from the dates
that interest you, or if you want to go straight to the gps, some
folks create full planet files for some formats of gps every few
weeks.  There are usually a few versions archived as well.