[talk-au] ABS [ ODbL data.gov.au permission granted]

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 00:06:29 GMT 2011

On Dec 3, 2011 10:48 AM, "Steve Bennett" <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> To play Devil's Advocate here, does anyone actually want the suburb
> boundaries retained (or reimported)? To me, they've always been a big
> pain in the arse.

I don't think it is being devil's advocate.

OSM shouldn't be a dumping ground for freely licensed data and this data
would be much more useful outside the OSM DB because updates are more
likely from the ABS than the OSM community.  Before importing data I think
there is a requirement to show how it can be usefully maintained by the OSM
community.  The current ABS data will expire like the 2006 one has.

A compatible license would still make it useful for tracing roads, rivers
etc when appropriate as a background layer in josm, potlatch etc.

Ian.