[talk-au] ABS [ ODbL data.gov.au permission granted]

El Segundo Can't win el_segundo_cant_win at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 6 09:58:45 GMT 2011

For my two cents, I think the 2011 ABS suburb boundaries would be useful if added, for the search function. It's dead right it would be better to be searching against them, rather than in the database, but I'm not too sure how that would be implemented.

However, the ABS boundaries are NOT the same as the official, legal gazetted boundaries that each state maintains. The boundaries differ, and more to the point do not contain the full set of official locality names for the state. There are many, many, low population rural localities not in the ABS dataset. They are simply the boundaries that ABS has built for their own purposes to report data to.

It may well be worth holding out for the states to release the gazetted boundaries, if anyone thinks that's likely.