[talk-au] I deleted a few locality boundaries...

Vernon Tang vt at foilhead.net
Sun Dec 18 11:36:17 GMT 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:

> On 18/12/11 16:43, Andrew Harvey wrote:
>>
>> Where do these "official gazetted boundaries" come from?
>
> Australian Bureau of Statistics

No they don't. They come from the various states' geographical names
boards. Unfortunately, none of them appear to have released their
geodata, except via PSMA ($$$).

The current ABS suburb data are based on "mesh blocks" from the ASGS,
which are their smallest dividing buckets for census data. (The
pre-2011 ASGC suburb boundaries were made using a similar process.)
This means that their boundaries can deviate from the official state
boundaries, especially in sparsely populated or non-residential areas
where whole localities can even be missing altogether from the ABS
data.

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> On 18/12/11 17:07, Sam Wilson wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I've often wondered the same: if they're officially defined as
>> following particular roads etc. and then those roads move, do the
>> boundaries move also?
>
> No.  Do a search through the archives of the list and you'll find this
> somewhere.

But they usually realign the boundaries when things like this happen.