[talk-au] A gradual transition to ODbL over on legal-talk

El Segundo Can't win el_segundo_cant_win at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 19 01:48:13 GMT 2011

I know mapper FK270673 caused some fuss in Australia back in November, and I can’t say I endorse his recent actions here, but over on the OSM-legal-talk list FK270673 has made what I consider is a very sensible license change proposal. http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2011-December/006789.html
I don’t know if it will gain traction, but it beats losing an easy quarter of Australian content on 1 April.
(If the changeover happened right now we would lose 35%, source: http://odbl.poole.ch/; http://odbl.poole.ch/australia-20110919-20111212-poly.html)(I’vebeen keeping a time series track of this, and from early October to mid December the CT compliant proportion has only improved by a couple of % over that time)
This wouldn’t be a nice neat loss of non-acceptor data either, it would lose, for example, where an acceptor added street names to streets traced by a non-acceptor.