[talk-au] Removing ABS data

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 01:56:23 GMT 2011

Sam wrote

"Is it necessary to remove that data now, before the big change-over date?
  1. Is there not still a chance that people who have declined the new
licence
     will change their minds, and accept?
  2. Surely there's some magic in the works, that is going to swiftly and
      completely remove the non-compliant data for us?"

Yes, I think it is necessary to delete this data now...

Firstly, the importer of this data has moved over to the dark side and
seems to be
relishing in the possible data loss to the OSM project. So there isn't a
chance in hell
of him accepting the CT's.

Even if he did, I'm not sure the ABS data would be allowed to be relicenced
under Odbl.
And even if it was, this data is woefully out of date and now almost
useless anyway.

Also the ABS data appear as "red dots and lines" in Fredricks tainted data
display and
this masks out other bad data that needs to be removed and either remapped
or OSM mappers
good data recovered from history - where available.

Also the places where people have mixed the ABS data with otherwise good
data need to be
looked at individually, now, to try to save as much good data as possible.

Nick