[talk-au] Unsuitable for caravans

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Thu Feb 17 09:57:20 GMT 2011

On 17/02/11 20:16, {withheld} wrote:
> Here is a suggestion:
>
> Whenever a situation like this comes up (i.e. posted signage which does
> not fit neatly in a predetermined/official tag case), why not introduce
> a new tag:
>
> 	signposted: "Literal text from sign"
>
> ...on the basis such a thing cannot be questioned, because that is what
> is there in reality. (Further hint: photograph to prove it?)

The downside I can see is the difficulty in rendering software being
able to make use of the information given in the exact text.  The same
information may be expressed quite differently in different locations.

It's potentially useful to caravaners to have a standard tag for roads
best avoided.  There's quite a few roads across the country signposted
as unsuitable for caravans, and there may be local variations, such as
the inclusion or absence of the word "Road".  Or unsuitable between X and Y.

By all means include a signposted tag for clarity.  It's a good idea if
we can standardize on it.

John H