[talk-au] Bulk loading all the Australian Statistical Geography Standard into the OSM - a query from the Australian Bureau of Statistics [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 04:04:41 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM, {withheld}
<Pheasant.Coucal at gmail.com> > For <expletive elided>'s sake, with due
respect to Andrew Harvey and
> Steve Bennett, shouldn't the community be a whole lot better off
> expressing appropriate gratitude to Marcus Blake for offering this data
> and then pissing off and finding a use for it!
>
> No wonder no bloody government supplier wants to give us data. We are so
> damned ungrateful for what we get!

Yeah, I think it's great that the ABS wants to get involved with OSM.
But obviously not all data is appropriate for OSM, and the OP even
made clear that he wasn't certain that this was the case here.

Maybe someone could explain a bit more about this ASGS, and why it's a
good fit for OSM?

> I genuinely hope I have hurt a few feelings. At least I will have made
> the point.

Wrong on both counts, I believe.

Steve