[talk-au] Brisbane Flooding on NearMap

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 04:18:51 GMT 2011

JOSM 3751 has the nearmap slippymap (i think that's the older josm).

My idea is to use josm for the detailed tracing, then use qgis to
convert it to a .shp file layer.
Then upload it to koordinates.com as a public layer called 'your
version of floodmess area'.

If many people do this, then we have (on koordinates.com) a bunch of
layers which are all similar, so it gets a 'croudsource view' of the
area effected.  The darker/higher concentratin of coverage, would tell
those who would need to know, exactly where the floodline/contour is.

This method is NOT using OpenStreetMap, but it's still 'crowdsourcing'.

Worth a try :)
... also geocommons.com could be used to upload your version of the
.shp file area.

I'll have computer time sunday/monday to get started and upload my version.

cheers,
Sam

ps. does anyone have a time stamp for exactly when the flood reached
peak height?
(might show up on wikipedia, havent checked)

--
Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/