[talk-au] Victorian Coastline

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 01:07:51 GMT 2011

On 20 January 2011 11:43, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  So in other words, according to you, we shouldn't be doing any mapping
> in regional areas as people may not intend to do any amending, editing
> or correcting data in future, since the person that first added the
> information may have been a tourist and never go back there again.

Was I really that unclear?

I presume the visitor who goes to a regional area and maps it, would be
happy for their data to be amended, corrected, as better and more accurate
information came to hand, should it come to hand.  Regardless of what source
that information should come from.  The information is in OSM to be edited
by users over time.  If I visited the regional town, then I would consider
myself free to make corrections from my survey.

If you want to just keep the ABS data in OSM as a pure copy of the ABS data,
and not modify it even where it is obviously supposed to follow the
coastline, but just misses it, then what is the point of having it the ABS
data contained within the OSM to begin with?  It may as well just be a layer
outside of it.

Ian.