[talk-au] Victorian Coastline

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 04:58:18 GMT 2011

On 20 January 2011 14:50, Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I said, data that just doesn't happen to be modified, due to being
> in a remote or rarely accessed area, is obviously distinctly different
> from data that we import into OSM explicitly with the knowledge and
> intention that it should not be modified to preserve consistency with
> an external source.

And you make sweeping statements about all of it being removed,
perhaps you should have been a little clearer to begin with.

> source can always be incorporated as a post-processing step with any

You are assuming the import is only boundaries, the information was
obviously based on physical features to begin with so people in turn
have extrapolated and tried to turn it back into physical features and
in turn improve the map, especially in regional areas, considerable.

> As an aside, as large and as remote in parts of Australia are, I'd be
> surprised if you could put your finger on a way that will never be
> touched again, either by on the ground survey, or by aerial
> photography review.  If you'd care to name one, I'd be happy to place
> a wager!

Erm wouldn't naming one simply be pointless, since of course then it
will become the focus of such a venture.

In any case the boundary data covers waterways and coastlines, which
will change over time, but how often will they be remapped in my life
time when close enough is generally good enough for less populated
areas...