[talk-au] Aligning admin boundaries (including those resulting from ABS 2006 imported data) to coastline..

edodd at billiau.net edodd at billiau.net
Fri Jan 21 05:23:13 GMT 2011

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:29 PM,  <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
>> but while the coastline is constantly altering the admin boundary is
>> expected to remain unaltered
>
> Do you think? Surely those admin boundaries are expressed as "to the
> high tide mark" or something, not to some arbitrary coordinate which.
>
> Anyone know?
>
> Steve

I'm staying at the surveyor's house, but he's just gone out.
The principle is that the definition is made by statute which is clear.
Then the marks are placed by the surveyors, and regardless of error,
that's where they stay.
He was just telling us that the eastern border of WA is the only one which
is the same on the ground as in statute.
There's lots of case law in Australia on this matter, particularly over
the Vic-SA border.
But I can't confirm this with the local expert right now.