[talk-au] Victorian Coastline

4x4falcon info at 4x4falcon.com
Thu Jan 27 13:40:03 GMT 2011

On 27/01/11 19:17, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:21 PM, 4x4falcon<info at 4x4falcon.com>  wrote:
>> So your mapping for the renderer.
>
> I'm mapping for renderers, yes.
>
> Why, what are *you* mapping for?

Basic premise of openstreetmap has always been "Don't map for the
renderers" map what is on the ground and let the renderers sort it out.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice
#Don.27t_map_for_the_renderer

So you don't map so that something looks good in the renderer.

So if someone maps something that they think will look good in the
renderer but is not what's actually there then it's incorrect.  Things
like roundabouts drawn twice the size they really are with 50 nodes to
make the circle look better.  When if drawn at the correct size with 8 -
16 nodes it makes a good circle.

I map what is on the ground.

>> Is it colinear or close nodes, without looking at in an editor?
>>
>> If you look in an editor such as josm you will see that its two separate
>> ways with the nodes on the boundary varying between 1 and 3 metres away from
>> the road nodes.  You don't need to make the ways colinear for it to appear
>> so on the rendered map.  If they are parallel with the nodes within a metre
>> of each other then it will appear colinear on the map.
>>
>> If they were put side by side ie like this =:= less than a metre apart there
>> is no difference to rendering but you then have an easy means to select
>> either way in any editor and the easier it is to add something, or modify
>> something then more people will do so.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I think you're
> overstating the difficulty of working with co-linear ways. In
> Potlatch, click a node. Press /. If you want the other way, press /
> again.
>
> One thing I just thought of with co-linear ways though is people might
> end up making junctions with the wrong way.
>
> Note to self: add feature to hide and render unselectable all admin=boundary.

One of the major problems, and why I say don't join anything to admin
boundaries.

Maybe better to develop a filter so that you can select what you want
shown.  Of course josm already has th

>> Need to move the ways because the coastline has changed, then select both
>> nodes and drag them to the new position.
>
> What's the advantage?
>
> Here's what I'm thinking now:
>
> Coastlines: option 2 or 3
> Other boundaries: option 4 or 5
>
> Steve

I can live with this.

Generally it's unlikely that the coastline will actually change but
other things do.

Problem is though as you've pointed out above when someone joins a river
to the coastline have they got the correct way.  If they are parallel
then it's easy to choose if they are colinear then it's a dogs breakfast.

So don't make admin boundaries represent anything else and don't join
anything to admin boundaries.  If you think the admin boundary is along
a road or river or railway but you're not sure don't put it in.

If it's along a road, railway, river and you can confirm it copy the
admin boundary and paste it beside itself then retag for what you want
it to be. Sorry potlatch can't do that I guess you'll just have to use josm.

Cheers
Ross