[talk-au] JOSM filtering image/map tile URLs

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 00:28:02 GMT 2011

On 30 January 2011 10:21, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:
> their program because of your position.  If an athiest decided to remove
> any references to religion/churches in JOSM, and forced the community to
> take their patch, what would happen?  Are we expected to just lie down
> and take it, because we should respect one persons opinion, or should we
> look at the bigger picture and send OSM in the direction the community
> wants, rather than the direction a few foundation board members want.

It's unfortunately that things turned out how I thought they might,
what's worst of course is the deceitful tactics employed to force
through change that may not even be needed since maps aren't just raw
facts, there is quite a bit of creativity going into things at all
levels.

> So, what happens now?  Has Frederik appointed himself as top-dog in the
> JOSM project, above and beyond the maintainer?  What would happen if the
> maintainer (or someone else following the OSM communities wishes)
> reverted that patch?

As Anthony pointed out in one post, there is no reason this couldn't
be a build time option with multiple builds produced as a result,
although it's disturbing the amount of pressure being applied to force
things through so everyone else but OSM-F can be easily excluded.