[talk-au] JOSM filtering image/map tile URLs

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Jan 31 14:29:32 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> I could set up a proxy - on my squid to rewrite URL
> 'forbidden_image' to 'google' if I wanted.

In the latest version of JOSM it's actually quite trivial to bypass
the blacklist.  No need to set up a proxy at all.  Of course, if I
publicized the bypass then someone would likely close it.

> However I have zero interest in using google imagery, so I won't.

One nice thing about the Google imagery is that it's often more
up-to-date than the other alternatives.  And so long as you're careful
and check multiple sources, no one is ever going to figure out that
you used Google vs. one of your other sources.

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Richard Weait wrote:
>> OSMF doesn't direct JOSM development. Or Potlatch or Merkaartor
>> development either.
>
> Exactly.
>
> The best-known Potlatch instance is hosted on OSMF-owned hardware at the
> OSMF-owned openstreetmap.org domain. OSMF could, in theory, request a
> particular feature for this instance and refuse to deploy any version that
> didn't contain this feature. They have, however, never done this.
>
> JOSM and Merkaartor and Mapzen and <insert random other editor here>
> development is purely at the discretion of the development team. If you
> don't like it, write/fork your own. It's all open source.

While I agree that a fork is a viable option if all else fails, I
believe a fork should be the *last* option, not the first.  And I
don't foresee it being a necessary option in this case.  I don't see
any reason why the developers wouldn't support a build-time option to
turn on/off the blacklist, and I wouldn't consider a special build
with the blacklist off (and with the default API URL set somewhere
else) to be a fork.

For now I'm happy with the fact that there's a loophole in the
blacklist.  And I'm happy to report that JOSM is quickly becoming my
favorite editor.  I just discovered how easy it is to switch between
different imagery layers.  It's really great switching between USGS,
Bing, and Google in the area where I live.  They each have different
subtleties that complement each other, in terms of resolution, age,
and coverage.  I'd guess in Australia it's much the same, with the
candidates bing Nearmap, Bing, and Google.