[talk-au] Active Australian OSM contributors in light of CT/license changes

Mark Pulley mrpulley at lizzy.com.au
Wed Jul 6 22:54:49 BST 2011

On 06/07/2011, at 9:29 PM, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> because any CC-BY-SA derived data you add may be removed if OSM
> abandons CC-BY-SA at some point in the future (or may even be
> conflicting with your agreed CTs now...).

How could I add CC-BY-SA derived data if I use GPS traces, audio
recordings of names, or imagery like Yahoo or Bing? The only way I
could see this happening would be if I was to deliberately go out of
my way to add a CC-BY-SA source (either other imagery or a data
import). Have I missed something? (An example would be nice!)

I am still contributing to OSM. I also have a FOSM account (same
username as OSM), but I haven't used it yet. I've just finished adding
my recent Flinders Ranges trip, hopefully all these will get copied to
FOSM. I'm currently working on some audio recordings from an earlier
trip to Wyangala (near Cowra), then I'll probably have a break as I'll
have gone through all my current data, although I might do some work
on adding new ways from Bing imagery.

On 06/07/2011, at 10:35 PM, Chris Barham wrote:

> A satisfactory local example
> where things turned out well is where Nearmap made it's generous offer
> to allow pre-existing data to remain under the new licence.  However
> on this list there was little rejoicing

I'll take this opportunity to thank Nearmap for their generosity to
allow data to remain in OSM.

Mark P.