[talk-au] Active Australian OSM contributors in light of CT/license changes

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 02:39:50 BST 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since the ban on all contributors who didn't sign the CTs, and ban on all
> new contributors from using NearMap and other CC-BY/CC-BY-SA sources, I'm no
> longer actively contributing to the OSM database. Instead I am now actively
> contributing to the fosm database. I am interested to hear what other active
> Australian OSM contributors will be doing now.

I'm pretty much contributing to OSM as I always have. I don't have
much interest in a fringe fork populated mainly by the disgruntled. It
reminds me a bit of Citizendium - the fork of Wikipedia you've
probably never heard of.

Of course, my continuing with OSM is not a vote of confidence in the
licence chance process - I really resent many parts of the way it's
been handled, particularly Frederik Ramm's dismissive attitude. I
really wish OSM had someone of Jimmy Wales' calibre as a community
leader.

Steve