[talk-au] Active Australian OSM contributors in light of CT/license changes

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri Jul 8 20:38:10 BST 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
>> At this point really the positive gestures need to come from you, for
>> example helping us switch so we can all (including FOSM) move on.
>
> If the only way you are willing to have a mutually beneficial
> relationship is if I/we/FOSM/CommonMap agree to help you switch to a
> license that I/we/FOSM/CommonMap do not approve, then it's not going
> to happen.
>
> I cannot support a switch to the ODbL.  But I am very much willing and
> interested in supporting OSMF in its larger goal of mapping the world.
>
> Anthony

In case you missed my previous email to explaining this (and for the
benefit of those who didn't receive it), my main sticking point is
this:

"If you publicly use any adapted version of this database, or works
produced from an adapted database, you must also offer that adapted
database under the ODbL."

I find that to be completely infeasible from a technical standpoint.
I don't keep around copies of my adapted databases after I create a
produced work from it.