[talk-au] ATTN Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> RE" Active Australian OSM contributors in light of CT/license changes

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Sat Jul 9 01:27:40 BST 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 00:51 -0700, All Blokes wrote:
> I would not in any way presume to speak for any other Australians
> other than myself, but I object most strenuously to the implication
> that I have in some way been "perverted by 80n or any other person at
> all.

FWIW, Id like to point out that after 3 years mapping with OSM, I knew
of fosm for several months before I learned who 80n is, and that he ran
it.  I was disgruntled with the OSM process and was looking for
alternatives.  Many names were thrown around, fosm being one of them.
Several weeks after becoming a member, the first I became aware of the
fact that 80n ran the server was after asking for help and someone
directing me to him.

> I think your threat to "come out to Australia and debate this in the
> pub with 80n as if that would sway people frankly is pretentious....

I think Steve has some understated feeling of how important 80n is.
Steve may feel that with himself being the 'figurehead' of OSM, he feels
that 80n is the figurehead of everyone against the change.  He is not,
he is simply one of many who didnt just dislike the change, he actively
did something about it.

> If you care to come out you will be welcome but if you want to debate
> 80n this forum is your best chance and It does not appear, to me FWITW
> that you are doing so well at making your points against him.

Seriously, Id like to see that.  We could even arrange for a few
copyright lawyers to come along, so that maybe Steve will understand the
law is different in different places, he apparently needs to hear it
from a lawyer or he wont believe it.  I wonder how many lawyers it would
take to convince him.

David