[talk-au] Active Australian OSM contributors in light of CT/license changes

Neal Schulz neal.schulz at internode.on.net
Sat Jul 9 01:57:27 BST 2011

Hello,

Firstly let me say that I have no alliances with either side of the debate. I have been trying to sit on the fence throughout the entire process.

Until the recent Nearmap announcement I was unable to legally accept the change; Now I can.

I agree with those who state that the license change is actually a fork of OSM. Instead of forking they are forcing everyone else to fork. This is very messy.

Based on the performance of Steve Coast on this list in recent times I have decided to stop contributing to OSM. This is not the sort of community I want to be associated with. The approach lacks respect. It is dismissive of alternate opinions without good reason. All that was wrong with the process of the license change (read that clearly; the process not the actual license) has been repeated by Steve Coast on this list in the last few days.

I was particularly appalled at the treatment of "All Blokes" whose opinion was completely dismissed to the point of suggesting he is not even a real person. This is not a healthy community. As Steve is a representative at the highest level I hold little hope for improvement.

Regards,
Neal
From The Antipodes

"So long and thanks for all the fish. So sad that it has come to this"