[talk-au] Going separate ways

Sun Jul 10 22:54:59 BST 2011

John Smith wrote:
> On 11 July 2011 00:02, Richard Fairhurst<richard at systemed.net>  wrote:
>>         Germany 90.1%
>>         Great Britain 89.1%
>>         France 96.8%
>>         North America 96.4%
>>         Russia 97.2%
>>         Australia 48.4%
>
> You didn't show Albania which has an even low acceptance rate, nor did
> you comment on the fact that several import accounts of large amounts
> of data are included in those numbers.

Indeed, I was concentrating on the big guys. Albania isn't a big guy.
Not sure what your point is about imports but neither GB nor Germany
have particularly significant numbers of imports - the only major import
we've ever had in Britain is a few counties' worth of bus-stops!

But this is rather the point, isn't it?

No matter what point I might make, you're going to read the From: line,
see that "it's from one of the ODbL guys", and argue against it. And
yes, I'm sure some of us are guilty of that too.

The two sides are irreconcilable. There really isn't any need to keep
sniping back and forth like this. Can we not just agree to differ: you
go forward with FOSM-CC, we go forward with OSM-ODbL, and people
contribute to whichever project they prefer?

Richard