[talk-au] Going separate ways

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Mon Jul 11 06:21:14 BST 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 06:53 +0200, Mike Dupont wrote:

> Besides all the flames and smoke, what are the real issues here? I
> think that we dont need to continue this endless discussion. Lets just
> stop the fighting and do something more productive.

I think a main issue here, comes down to what services do we need to
fork away from the ODbL OSM but still retain the community that exists.

Both groups can utilise the same community (mailing lists, IRC, even
mapping parties) for discussions regarding tagging or international
mapping variances, infact I think they are some of the most interesting
discussions here.

Both groups can pretty much share the same toolsets. ie just because you
favour fosm over osmf or vice versa, that doesn't mean you should stop
using and contributing to things like mapnik, osmosis and mkgmap.

I think there needs to be a clear statement made by one of the
'democratically elected' members that despite any forks in the licence,
the project and community share a common goal and can share some
resources, even if we're unable to share data.

I also think that a lot of the arguers on these lists need to understand
this too.

> I find that now we have the fosm going, there should be less reasons
> to fight, everyone has basically what they need. Of course it could be
> better.

I only hope with time that feelings will ease and each branch of the
fork will become successful on its own strength.  I think both projects
serve their own market of users and will continue to build on their
individual strengths.

David