[talk-au] Bing

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 10:55:44 BST 2011

It is my understanding that Bing essentially said to OSM "yes you can
upload to OSM".

We as a community can't verify this.
http://www.microsoft.com/maps/product/terms.html mentions nothing, all
we have is http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Bing_license.pdf
which we can't verify as authentic.

But even if it is and can be proved to be authentic, unless Microsoft
also state that OSM has permission to license traced data it out to
others as CC-BY-SA, simply saying yes you can trace and upload to OSM
isn't enough in my opinion. As this would be a license specific to
OSM, and wouldn't allow others who use OSM data to use the bing data.

That is, if OSM were as rigorous as Debian we wouldn't allow this as
it is in violation of point 8 of the DFSG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Free_Software_Guidelines

I would love to have these issues proved unfounded, but until then, I
don't use bing at all, and am hoping the areas of OSM I'm interested
in don't become too polluted by bing data.