[talk-au] Irony...

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Jul 11 13:45:47 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Matt White <mattwhite at iinet.com.au> wrote:
> Is it just me, or is there a certain amount of irony in Nearmap not allowing
> OSM to use their aerials to trace from, but being quite happy to use OSM as
> their street layer?
>
> (Don't get me wrong - I think Nearmap have a very tidy product, but it's
> just a pity that a compromise couldn't be worked out.)

I don't see irony in NearMap's decision to use OSM data.  We want
people / companies to use our data.  And I think that their decision
to allow OSM to continue to use data derived earlier from their aerial
imagery is generous.  They didn't have to allow that.

NearMap and OpenStreetMap are two separate entities.  Obliging one to
adapt to the goals of the other isn't required.  It was nice that
there was an intersection of interests for a while.  Now both entities
move on.  Perhaps there will be another intersection in future,
perhaps not.