[talk-au] Going separate ways

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Jul 11 14:00:21 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:53 AM, James Livingston
<lists at sunsetutopia.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/2011, at 8:47 PM, John Smith wrote:
>> Then why was there such a big fuss made over Haiti edits should be PD
>> so that the UN could mix the data with other datasets...
>
> Because they were mixing the datasets. If you do something like render tiles within the .au boundaries from one database, and render tiles from outside the boundaries from a different dataset, then it's fine.
>
> Most useful things you can do with the data can be split up like this, besides producing a combined database.

That's not what he said, though.  He said "combine the two into one dataset."

And I don't see how you're going to make the tiles without doing this.
 Some of them will overlap.

And even if they don't overlap, once you combine them into a single
map you've got a problem.