[talk-au] [OSM-legal-talk] Statement from nearmap.com regarding submission of derived works from PhotoMaps to OpenStreetMap

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Wed Jun 15 04:56:17 BST 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 10:39 +0800, James Andrewartha wrote:
> On 15 June 2011 09:36, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Ben Last <ben.last at nearmap.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all
> >> As promised, with apologies for the delay, here is the statement from NearMap regarding submission of derived works of our PhotoMaps to OSM.
> >
> > Dear Ben,
> >
> > Thank you for providing this clear statement, for NearMap's
> > contributions to the OpenStreetMap community, and for the generous
> > decision to allow current NearMap-referenced data to remain in OSM.
>
> Does it? I haven't agreed to the CTs, therefore my NearMap tracings
> are CC-BY-SA, and hence will be purged from the database in Phase 5.

Bens statement said:

"may be held and continue to be used by OSM under the terms in place
between OSM and the individual"

In other words, nearmap allows you to make your own mind up in regards
to derived data youve contributed.  If you havent agreed to CTs, then
your work will be removed, but if you wish to agree you are now not
breaching any existing rights.  So I guess that cuts down the amount of
dirty data OSM will have in their DB, it doesnt remove it completely,
but there seems to be no interest in a 100% clean db, as long as 99% is
good enough.

David