[talk-au] rationalising administrative boundaries

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Fri Jun 17 02:42:23 BST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 11:14 +1000, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:15 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The current boundaries will be removed in the near future, so if I
> > were you I wouldn't spend to much time fussing over them.
>
> Oh? Do tell?

All ABS boundaries (infact all .au government provided data that has
been imported.. toilets, bbqs, hospitals/police stations) will be
removed because theyre all distributed under CC licence, which is not
compatible with the licence OSMF are trying to introduce at the
moment.

That is the reason why very little effort has been expended mapping
Australia lately, until we know what skeleton of data we'll have left to
work with after the changeover.

If you want to map for OSM at the moment, your best bet is to map
offline using something like JOSM, then save all your edits to be
uploaded when the licence issue has been sorted out, otherwise you might
find youre spending hours fixing up the map only to find all your work
removed or broken when other users data is removed.

David