[talk-au] ODBL and real life...

Tim Challis Tim.Challis at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 23:26:33 BST 2011

On 20/06/11 07:20, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:12:25 +0100
> Grant Slater <openstreetmap at firefishy.com> wrote:
>
>> We have people subverting our CC-BY-SA license right now!!1! *zomg*
>> And they wouldn't be abusing our ODbL license in future.
>> Case: UN: http://www.unitar.org/unosat-releases-new-maps-over-haiti
>
> I viewed these maps and understand why you have made the claim that the
> licence has been subverted, with no attribution given, assuming that
> the finding of the displaced person camps and damaged bridges etc was
> OSM volunteer work.
> I've not seen this example mentioned in the LWG or Board minutes, so I
> don't know when you contacted UNITAR / UNOSAT to have this clarified.
> I cannot however, follow your logic that it won't happen with a
> differently licensed map.

With all due apologies to any good lawyers reading this, no license
whatsoever deters uncaught dishonesty; and at best still curbs those of
good intent.

I thought communal projects were supposed to encourage the opposite
behaviour? Hasn't it occurred to anybody this is simply the wrong tool -
for a problem of its own making? Cue old joke about how good it feels to
stop hitting yourself on the head..