[talk-au] How many NearMap users do you think have accepted the new CTs and ODbL?

Andrew Gregory andrew.gregory at gmail.com
Sun May 1 16:18:45 BST 2011

On 26 April 2011 21:24, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:

> How many OSM users have accepted the new terms, without fully
> understanding that sources they have used in the past prohibit them from
> doing so.
>
> Using my australian test extract from 21/03/2011, I found that 3390
> users have made edits in the area of interest (the Australian extract
> available on osmaustralia.org).
>
> Of these 3390 users, 536 have used the tag source=nearmap at least once.
>
> Of these 536 users, 134 have agreed to the ODbL+CTs.

I'm almost certainly one of those 134. I must admit I didn't read the new
license too closely, but nothing seemed out of order. In the back of my mind
I was probably treating it like all the other various licenses I've agreed
to in the past - as something that applies from the moment I agree to it. In
hindsight, it's quite obvious that the new agreement has to be
retrospective.

Thankfully, I've been careful to use source=nearmap. I've also been making a
point to go around and survey streets I've traced, check their alignment,
name them and set source=survey. However, there have been times when I have
traced buildings. That's much more difficult to survey.

In any case, I expect that when it comes time to actually apply the new
license, any source=nearmap data will disappear leaving behind all my
re-licensable data.

I short, I don't see any problems. All my current data conforms to the
current license, and the data that doesn't conform to the new license is
easily identifiable and removable. I would, of course, like to see what data
is incompatible with the new license so that I can more focus my surveying
efforts. Hopefully some general visualisation tools will be developed well
before the license change takes place.
--
Andrew