[talk-au] OSM CTs

Ian Callahan igcallahan at gmail.com
Mon May 2 11:55:56 BST 2011

It seems to me that there is a common sense solution to all the angst
about changing CTs, licencing etc.

Those who believe that OSM should transmogrify into something different
should fork a new project, leaving those who desire the status quo with
(obviously) the staus quo. To expect those who want what they already
have to create something new so they can go on having what they have now
(does that make sense?) is bizarre.

Personally, I have retired from any mapping until this situation
resolves itself. I side with those who regard the new CTs as
unacceptable, and the process by which they are being imposed as maybe
worse than unacceptable. OSM is tearing itself apart from within. When
there is a clear way for me to support a universal free map I will
probably do so again. In the meantime, I am just accumulating GPS
tracks, with no incentive to do anything more with them.

But I won't hold my breath.

I realise that if OSM is to continue in its previous guise, then the
time and effort expended on projects like FreeOSM will be wasted. But
isn't that the best outcome?