[talk-au] Reassurance and Licensing

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Wed May 4 06:31:36 BST 2011

I wrote:

> Who is "us", in this case?

Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> This is the Australian list, in case you didn't realise

Ah, so you are speaking for all Australians!

As I said, I'm glad you have such faith in your government
institutions,  but OSM was largely formed because of government
restrictions over the use of its data (i.e OS copyright), and I think
the OSM community has the demonstrated capacity and capability to make
its own decisions, rather than having to follow what the Australian
government or any other government specifies.

So at least this Australian born, Australian resident, 5-year
Australian OSM contributor doesn't necessarily think whatever is good
enough for the Australian government is necessarily good enough for us
all.  Perhaps in future you can confine yourself to speaking for the
other 21 million odd of our countrymen who it may be assumed agree
with you and whatever our government says.

Ian.