[talk-au] Queensland border and the MacIntyre River...

Tim Challis Tim.Challis at gmail.com
Mon May 9 11:39:35 BST 2011

On 09/05/11 14:32, Christoph Donges wrote:
> My father, who lived on a property adjoining the river near Texas for
> many years says he always believed the boarder ran down the center of
> the river.
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
> <mailto:deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 9 May 2011 13:39, 4x4falcon <info at 4x4falcon.com
>     <mailto:info at 4x4falcon.com>> wrote:
>     > I'd say the centre of the main channel as the only sign I've ever
>     seen there
>     > is half way across a bridge.
>
>     The bridge at Texas has the sign on the southern side of the bridge,
>     but the 'Welcome to Qld/NSW' sign is on the northern side.

I originally was not going to buy into this discussion, as I then
clearly had no idea. However, since, I have found this document:

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/property/surveying/pdf/qld_nsw_border.pdf

- encouragingly titled: "Redefining the Queensland–New South
Wales Border: Guidelines for Surveyors".

To save you ploughing through it, the lightning summary seems to be
since 1946 the mid-line of the river is the answer you want. (If you
want to get technical, it should be the median line of the riverbanks as
they existed in 1859... the big catch is, they were not actually
surveyed then, so the dispute had to be resettled in 1946, and confirmed
in 1993, and reconfirmed in 2008....

For the keen: Section 4.3 esp. item 3: "Case history 3: River boundary"
regarding past legal disputes; and Section 5.2 "River Section" are the
relevant parts.

Hope this helps.