[talk-au] Nearmap badly out of date

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Wed May 11 11:00:25 BST 2011

A nearmapper has decided that badly out-of-date nearmap imagery was
more authorative than my GPS traces (taken last weekend) and has
"completed" a road that is not there any longer. It has been
completely grassed over so that cars can not travel along it, for some
time to come, and barricades have been placed at the ends.

Well done guys, you are well on the way to making OSM as "good" as
google maps. This reinforces my belief that imagery (whether Bing or
nearmap) should never be used for anything that needs to be routable.

 I hope the user has the gumption to quitely revert his incorrect
changes. I don't suppose anyone wondered why I would go so far out of
my way to map all the new roads and then fail to drive the last bit of
this one.

He also found a bit of pavement that I has missed mapping so that was
good. He used a bit of poetic licence to mark it "one way". Even
though there are no "one way" markings on the road itself, the
topography indicates that it can ONLY be one way, so I think that this
action was entirely appropriate even though it departs from "map only
what is on the ground".

Nearmap  ( near enough is good enough)
Sorry Nearmap - I'm not having a go at your excellent imagery, just
the way some people choose to use it.

PS - I drove back out there again this morning to check on a street
sign where I was sure I had a typo (and I did, although I now can't
fix it). There were some more new roads open so I have mapped them as
well.

Sorry guys, nearmap will have to fly and process Canberra every week
to keep up with an interested local mapper (and thats only for the
road topology - names are something else again).